E-Group Rules & Etiquette
Thank you for being part of our community. To ensure the best possible experience for all members, we have established some basic rules for participation.
By joining and using this community, you agree that you have read and will follow these rules and guidelines. You also agree to reserve discussions, shared files, and content to that best-suited to the medium. This is a great medium with which to solicit the advice of your peers, benefit from their experience, and participate in ongoing conversations. Questions should be directed to ASBO via the “Contact Us” link on this site. Technical questions on association management issues should be directed to our helpdesk.
Please take a moment to acquaint yourself with these important rules. If you have questions, contact the leadership development department. In order to preserve a climate that encourages both civil and fruitful dialogue, we reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to suspend or terminate membership in this community for anyone who violates these rules.
- Don't challenge or attack others. The discussions and comments are meant to stimulate conversation, not create contention. Let others have their say, just as you may.
- Don't post commercial messages in any discussion, resource library entry, or other area.
- Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on the lists and in the libraries is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Please note carefully all items listed in the disclaimer and legal rules below, particularly regarding the copyright ownership of information posted.
- Remember that other participants have the right to reproduce materials posted to this site unless you specify otherwise.
- Post your messages or documents only to the most appropriate lists or libraries. Do not spam several lists or libraries with the same message. All messages must add to the body of knowledge. We reserve the right to reject any message for any reason.
- Users cannot charge for the information they post on this site.
Discussion Group Etiquette
- Include a signature tag on all messages.
- State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
- When replying, include only the relevant portions of the original message in your reply. Delete any header information and put your response before the original posting.
- Send a message to the entire list only when it contains information that everyone can benefit from.
- Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals—not to the entire list. Do this by using the "Reply to Sender" link.
- Do not send administrative messages, such as “Remove me from the list.” Instead, use the web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a list. If you are changing email addresses, you do not need to remove yourself from the list and rejoin under your new email address. Simply change your settings.
- Warn other list subscribers of lengthy messages either in the subject line or at the beginning of the message body with a line that says "Long Message."
ASBO International retains the right and ability to move documents from community folders to all-member folders.
The Legal Stuff
This site is provided as a service for the members of the Association of School Business Officials International. ASBO International is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this site by others. We disclaim all warranties with regard to information posted on this site, whether posted by ASBO International or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event shall ASBO International be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site. We reserve the right to modify, suspend, or discontinue the site with or without notice at any time and without any liability to you.
Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, you warrant and represent that you own the copyright with respect to such material or have received permission from the copyright owner. You are responsible for determining that such material is not protected by copyright, trademark, or other proprietary right. You shall be solely liable for any damages resulting from any infringement of copyright, trademark, or other proprietary right, or any other harm resulting from any uploading, posting, or submission. In addition, you grant ASBO International and users of this site the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
Messages should not be posted if they encourage or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers.
ASBO International does not actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to the attention of ASBO International, we will take all appropriate action.
ASBO International has set user profile preferences to prevent others from accessing your contact information. These preferences can be revised and changed by individual users at their own risk of releasing contact information to all members. ASBO International will be collecting and storing data from this site pertaining to log-on usage, discussion groups, document postings, and e-group conversations.
You agree that you are responsible for all statements made, and acts or omissions that occur, on your account while your password is being used. If you believe someone has used your password or account without your authorization, you must notify us immediately. ASBO International reserves the right to access and disclose any information, including, without limitation, user names of accounts and other information, to comply with applicable laws and lawful government requests.
ASBO International may change these rules at any time. You can review the most current version of these rules by clicking on the "Code of Conduct" section under the EGROUPS tab of the web page. You are responsible for checking these rules periodically for changes. If you continue to use the site after we post changes to these rules, you are signifying your acceptance of the new terms.
You agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless ASBO International and our affiliates and other subsidiaries, and our respective employees, contractors, officers, directors, and agents from all liabilities, claims, and expenses, including attorney's fees that arise from your use or misuse of the site or from any breach of the these rules. We reserve the right, at our own expense, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you, in which event you will cooperate with us in asserting any available defenses.
ASBO International reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these rules.